Hsu King-chiu offered me invaluable assistance in the task of gathering information and tracking down sources. I am deeply grateful to Chuck Kleinhans for his astute comments on an earlier version of this essay.
1. Karl Marx and Frederick Engels, The German Ideology (New York; International Publishers, 1970) [return to text]
2. Karl Marx and Frederick Engels, Manifesto of the Communist Party (Moscow: Progressive Publishers, 1954)
3. Karl Marx and Frederick Engels, Manifesto, p. 44 [return to text]
4. E. P. Thompson, The Making of the Working Class (New York: Vintage Books, 1966)
5. Michel Foucault, Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison (London: Allen Lane, 1977) [return to text]
6. David Harvey, The Limits to Capital (Oxford: Blackwell, 1982), p. 157
7. Karl Marx and Frederick Engels, Manifesto, op. cit. p.44
8. Wimal Dissanayake, Ashes of Time (Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2003)
9. Michel Foucault, "Of Other Spaces," Diacritics 16 (Spring 1986), p.22
10. Michel Focuault, ibid.
11. David Harvey, Spaces of Hope (Berkley: University of California Press, 2000)